In recent years online shopping has transformed drastically. Whether it’s buying groceries, clothes, electronics, etc. people prefer to do it online. Especially after the hit of the pandemic, when strict lockdown compelled people to turn to online means to shop, eCommerce has become an indispensable part of people’s life. Now when people are accustomed to this habit, it is more important than ever for online retailers to keep their online stores up-to-date and provide a seamless shopping experience to their consumers. In this process, product catalog management plays a vital role.
So, what is the role of eCommerce catalog management? What are the challenges that online retailers face while managing your product catalog online and what are catalog management best practices in eCommerce? In this blog post, we have highlighted everything you need to know about e-commerce product catalog management and 6 best practices & tips you can follow.
Why is e-commerce catalog management important?
When it comes to providing the customer a great experience online, one of the most overlooked, yet crucial things that should be paid attention to is eCommerce catalog management. If there is no proper catalog management & maintenance system in place, it is very difficult for retailers to manage product information on the digital shelf. Proper eCommerce catalog management ensures providing customers with the right product information in the most systematic way. This system establishes an optimum quality of the product data across all channels.
Some of the key components of eCommerce catalog management include organizing, standardizing, and publishing the relevant product data. When managed properly, it helps the customer to make intelligent purchase decisions on the basis of the data provided. Nowadays, customers are well accustomed to searching for product information and shopping online. Therefore, your eCommerce store needs to have a well-managed and maintained online product catalog so as to meet the customer behavior, ensure your products are easily found online, and help you stay competitive in the market.
Benefits of a streamlined eCommerce catalog management system
A streamlined and well-maintained product catalog system is highly essential for online store retailers to cater to the evolving demands of customers in terms of accurate, reliable, and real-time product-related information across multiple devices or platforms. Some benefits of having a streamlined eCommerce catalog management system are:
- Helps in delivering a consistent customer experience
- Boosts business ROI and business revenue
- Customizes the product catalogs as per the market place
- Categorizes and sorts products in an easy & efficient manner
- Helps in dealing with complex product structures
- Helps you improve your back office operations
- Improves your sales & conversion
Common challenges in Product Data Management
Over the years, product catalog management has become quite a tedious, complex, and time-consuming task. Businesses face several challenges while managing their eCommerce product catalog, such as:
- Handling multiple sources of product information
- Managing different catalog versions for multiple channels such as web and mobile version of product data
- Streamlining edit, approval, and publishing rights
- Introducing new products data and catalogs
- Managing complex product structures like serialized items
- Keeping product listings updated online
- Managing product listings across multiple sales channels
Given the above set of challenges, if you do not have the right eCommerce catalog management strategy in place, your product data will become complicated and inconsistent. This will hamper your operational productivity, data quality, customer experience, and also business revenue. Especially when you have to deal with multiple sales points like websites, eCommerce platforms, print catalogs, e-commerce, mobile applications, and more, it becomes even more challenging where leveraging professional eCommerce catalog management services can act as the best solution!
6 best practices to follow for product catalog management
- Opt for a catalog management software or tool: There are many different tools in the market that can effortlessly help you manage your eCommerce product catalog. Keeping in mind your business needs, your e-commerce product catalog can be managed. Using catalog management software makes it easy for you to manage the product data with less redundancy in the product information. Furthermore, the software can help you collate huge data within a centralized system and offer you complete visibility and access to brands just with a single browser.
- Provide quality product information: There lies great importance in providing customers with valuable and accurate product information. You should ensure that your customers have a seamless experience while they navigate through the eCommerce website and are able to easily locate their desired product. By offering precise product information, customers start placing trust in your brand and make faster purchase decisions. Product information may include technical attributes, high-resolution images, videos, inventory information, units of measurement, and product usage combinations and recommendations, etc. All the information must be updated from time to time to optimize the overall shopping experience of the customer.
- Categorize your product catalog: Product categorization holds great importance in the catalog management process, which is addressed by the catalog management software. The catalog management software follows a comprehensive approach in sorting and placing products under different categories. As customers look for easy navigation options and clear product categories while they search for their desired products you must categorize the product catalog and define attributes clearly by considering the customer’s point of view as a filter, refine, colors, etc. A well-defined product classification boosts the user experience and drastically improves search relevancy.
- Manage your product catalog database: Catalog management is not just about collecting data rather, the collected data should be of high quality and have a consistent format. Ensuring this will enable you to deliver a rich and consistent experience to customers. Once you start providing reliable product data, you will have a huge amount of reliable product information and a strong product database where maintaining a database is an unavoidable part of optimizing the catalog. To avoid any clutter you must ensure that your database is clean and organized. To do this, you can take help from a product database management service provider that can help you to have a comprehensive product database, rich with information and maintain it timely.
- Use up-selling and cross-selling techniques: One of the most engaging and profitable ways to increase your sales is by suggesting related products in your e-commerce catalog. Product catalog management provides you a great opportunity to showcase related goods and services to your customers and lure them into buying some additional items. For example, if a customer is searching for a DSLR camera, you can showcase a tripod, lens, and other camera accessories to tempt your buyer to make additional products. You can also show customers alternative cameras, to help them purchase even a better quality camera. This not only provides the customer with a wide variety of options to choose from & also upscale your sales chart.
- Personalize your product catalogs: Personalization is one of the critical factors in product catalog creation and management. You cannot feed the same things to different audiences and should keep in mind various factors like product pricing, quantities, and other attributes to cater to your targeted audience with the right type of catalog. Thus, you must segment your product catalogs and provide a personalized and seamless customer experience across all touchpoints.
- Product image processing
- Catalog processing
- Product data entry
- Product feed submission
- Catalog building & indexing
- Google shopping data feed
- Catalog content management
- Catalog updating & maintenance
- Catalog conversion
Role of professional eCommerce product catalog management services
Now that you know the significance of product catalog maintenance & management, the role of catalog management service provider cannot be ignored. eCommerce professionals can help you to create, maintain, and periodically update and maintain product catalogs on your e-commerce website in a more efficient and systematic manner. With rich experience and expertise in the domain, your service provider can look after:
Furthermore, a reliable & experienced service provider can help you reduce cost, adhere to data security standards, and provide you customizable services to enrich your online storefront & strengthen your market position.
Looking for reliable eCommerce catalog management services?
If you are looking for a hassle-free and quick solution, turn to the experts at SunTec India. Our vast experience in product data management services implies that you get easy access to innovative product categorization techniques. Our team of experienced catalog management professionals ensures that we follow the best catalog management practices to help get the desired results within a quick turnaround time. You can leverage our customized catalog management packages to reduce time to market and improve your ROI substantially.
At SunTec India, we have over two decades of experience in product data management and online catalog services. Our catalog management and catalog data entry services are driven by a powerful suite of well-organized, structured, quality processes. We are equipped with a team of highly skilled catalog data entry professionals, au fait with online catalog management for all major shopping cart platforms and online marketplaces including Magento product upload services, Zen Cart product upload services, Amazon product listing services, etc.
To know more or to get in touch, please write to us at email@example.com.