Take your eCommerce holiday sales to new heights this year with the top eight tried and tested Christmas marketing ideas for 2023
For eCommerce businesses, the holiday months leading up to Christmas present the perfect opportunity to set new revenue records. Shoppers are ready to spend on themselves and buy gifts for their loved ones. However, the competition is fiercer than ever before, with more eCommerce stores competing for consumer dollars.
In this new era of ever-evolving customer preferences and AI-driven sales technologies, the question is- is your Christmas marketing strategy strong enough to stand out? Can you connect with modern shoppers and outpace rival businesses?
The good news is, it’s not too late to maximize this year’s Christmas sales potential. By creatively enhancing your value proposition, optimizing operations, leveraging eCommerce marketing services, and crafting targeted promotions, you can still seize seasonal success. Read on to discover the top 8 actionable tips that will help your eCommerce store sparkle more brightly this holiday and Christmas season.
Top 8 tips to boost your Christmas sales
Whether you are selling only through your stand-alone eCommerce store or selling on different marketplaces with an omnichannel strategy, these marketing tips can elevate your chances of captivating more shoppers and ensuring more conversions.
1. Research and analysis
Before diving into specific marketing tactics, it is wise to first thoroughly analyze your eCommerce analytics data and monitor key competitors. Carefully reviewing analytics can help you identify trends to attract more holiday shoppers and pinpoint shortcomings in your current Christmas marketing strategy.
- What dates, days, and hours are the best for conversions near Christmas?
- What are the fastest-selling or most popular product categories during this period?
- What prices and promotions/deals/bundle offers are competitors offering to the shoppers?
- What marketing channels drive the most traffic and sales?
- Is there a return rate spike for issues with product quality/fit/defects?
With an understanding of a clear view of your historical peaks and customer behavior, you can then devise an informed plan (decide product pricing & discounts, promote fastest-selling products, meet consumer expectations, etc.) and drive visibility across channels.
2. Strategically collaborate with influencers
The endorsement of a trusted voice or influencer can be persuasive to holiday shoppers in deciding what to purchase and gift to others. Hence, collaborating and getting your products reviewed by influencers, with a wide and genuine follower base should be a key strategy. You can explore opportunities for influencers to showcase and recommend your products through holiday shopping content across multiple channels, such as:
- YouTube unboxing videos
- TikTok tutorials
- Holiday shopping posts on Instagram
- Gift recommendations on Pinterest
By running influencer campaigns in advance, you can get an early head start. Just ensure that the messages from influencers clearly communicate your brand message and align with your values for maximum impact.
3. Optimize your website and listings
eCommerce SEO services around the holiday season are more critical than ever. Make sure that your store reflects the holiday sales excitement. To prepare your eStore for the Christmas period, make sure that your store design, content, and keywords used are in tandem with the Christmas theme. Here’s how you can optimize your site and listings effectively-
- Add engaging banners and CTAs to persuade shoppers to buy products
- Optimize pop-ups and forms
- Ensure proper internal linking to lead customers to the right landing/product pages
- Optimize your store for mobile and make it user-friendly
- Eliminate unnecessary steps and ease the checkout process
- Add Christmas greetings messages to maximize impact on customers
- Avail product description writing services to craft keyword-rich, high-impact descriptions for your store.
- Ensure high-quality product photos to attract shoppers
Other than the above-mentioned points, conduct technical SEO audits to identify and fix issues like site speed, broken links, etc. Leverage tools like Google Trends and Google Ads Keyword Planner for better optimization opportunities and stay on top of eCommerce SEO best practices.
4. Run PPC ads
Paid advertising campaigns allow you to get your holiday deals, bundles, and promotions in front of motivated shoppers across channels. Professional eCommerce PPC services can help set up and optimize profitable ads for the Christmas season.
- Google PPC ads
- Facebook ads
- Instagram shopping ads
- Video ads
- Re-marketing ads
- Personalized ads
- Amazon PPC ads (or any marketplace/platform-specific ads)
By leveraging paid ads you can showcase time-sensitive promotions and offers, remarket to site visitors across channels, and create customized ads matched to user intent for maximum returns. Just keep in mind to craft highly relevant ad copy and landing pages to drive conversions.
5. Reward customers with Christmas special offers
Rewards and discounts are one of the most popular Christmas marketing strategies to increase sales. They are also a decent way to keep your online business’s sales momentum going strong. You can offer cash back, coupons, and special deals.
This will not only encourage customers to shop more but also motivate them to share the deals and refer your brand to their friends and family. You can also use holiday season rewards or ‘gift cards’ to ‘re-pitch’ deals to old customers who haven’t shopped from your store in a while. This popular customer retention strategy can help you increase sales and profits during Christmas.
- Offer deals like “Buy one, get one free”
- Identify opportunities for upselling and cross-selling
- Reward customers for all their purchases, and give them bonus points for gift bundles
- Offer gift cards as discounts for subscribers and loyal customers
- Display corresponding Christmas merchandise
- Offer freebies
Based on what your competitors are offering, you can also choose the merchandise and the discounts you wish to offer this Christmas. Make it worthwhile for people to visit your store and shop for their favorite items throughout the Christmas season.
6. Email marketing- it never gets too old
Email marketing remains one of the highest-converting digital channels throughout the holiday season. Promote your gift cards, deals, offers, and discounts in an exciting way. Develop a targeted email campaign strategy to engage your subscribers, drive repeat purchases, and promote time-sensitive offers.
- Create a series of emails for the Christmas countdown to unlock offers and instill interest among shoppers
- Use engaging titles and Christmas-themed visuals in the emails
- Test your email campaigns on mobile devices
- Include clear CTAs, such as “Shop Gifts Now” and “Claim Offer” that direct readers to relevant product pages
- Add limited-time offers to create a sense of urgency
- Send emails to convert abandoned carts into reminders
Make sure to optimize email copy, layouts, subject lines, and send times for higher open and click-through rates. Also, use A/B testing to determine the most effective email content and design, and keep refining your holiday email approach.
7. Make use of AI tools
AI has taken the industries by storm. eCommerce is no different. The right adoption of AI technology can significantly lift your holiday campaigns’ performance when used wisely.
- Make use of AI chatbots to keep customers satisfied during the holiday season
- Produce engaging marketing copies for your email marketing campaigns
- Write eCommerce product descriptions and listing content using tools like Bard, ChatGPT, Claude.ai, etc.
- Provide product recommendations to shoppers based on purchase history and browsing behavior using AI models.
However, it is recommended to get the content edited by a professional copywriter or expert to ensure that the content is well-optimized for search engines and matches your brand’s tone and voice.
8. Keep customer service at the forefront
You certainly don’t want unhappy customers and negative reviews on your eCommerce store or products during the peak of the Christmas season. As UGC content plays a vital role in attracting new customers, getting and showing customer reviews and feedback upfront via quality customer service can advocate your products on its own.
- Try resolving customer issues in real-time
- Provide easy flexibility to exchange or return products
- Offer support through chatbots, help centers, and FAQs for general concerns
- Promptly reply to reviews, messages, and emails received from customers
- Encourage customers to leave positive reviews
Delivering high-quality customer service during the holiday season can directly influence business success. Ensure customers feel valued, especially when issues arise amidst the peak season rush. Validate customer concerns promptly and provide efficient resolutions or alternatives to build trust and loyalty.
The holiday season brings both great excitement and stress for eCommerce store owners. As we have explored, there are many impactful marketing strategies to employ this season to improve sales- from promotions to partnerships to customer service and more. However, with so much on every merchant’s plate, it’s easy to become overwhelmed.
As a result, if you are in a hurry to implement Christmas promotion ideas but do not have enough time or the right resources to dedicate to this purpose, let us know. Our eCommerce specialists can help you create and implement a hyper-focused Christmas marketing strategy to help you achieve your sales goals.